Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Targeted Individual Anthem #12

Question Time
by John Jenkins

Gloria,
Let me ask you a question, now

Why didn't you write your masterpiece?

I wrote my first novel
Eight years after I became a target

And I've been writing ever since

Michael Barden,
How did you keep your heart from hardening?

How'd you forgive your enemies?

Through no effort of my own,
I avoided prison entirely.

And now I'm getting back on my feet.

Tina Plakinger,
Tell me how it happened to her

Why didn't you give up then?

I'm stayin' in Chicago now
There's quite a lot of rules to follow, now

I keep asking myself when

I never, ever thought I'd die with
a big old thorn up in my eye.

And that the people around me
Wouldn't see the truth.

But then I realize,
That my eyes were on the prize.

That's how I got through
This abuse.

Repeat

No comments:

Post a Comment